Sunday, February 01, 2009

Encounter

It was the regular morning commute. He took a seat he generally didn't prefer - the first seat in the rear of the articulated bus next to the "bellows". It was invariably noisy there, distracting him from his music and reading.

She got on at the next stop. Cute. Black curly hair. She was wearing those glasses Tina Fey made famously cool on 30 Rock. Come to think of it, she looked a bit like Tina Fey. She sat on a cross seat on the opposite side from his. As the bus lurched its way onto the highway, she got up and sat next to him. She smelled of fresh citrus.

It was as if his brain had just shifted from cruise control to interstellar overdrive. "Is my hair OK?" "Does my breath smell?" "I think I forgot to put on deodorant in the morning." "What book is she reading?" "I think I should talk to her."

In a minute she noticed someone in the front of the bus she knew. Waves were exchanged. Space was found next to this friend. Next thing he knew, she was gone.

This piece was inspired by This American Life's episode 20 acts in 60 minutes. I was trying to write a piece that could be narrated on air, Ira Glass-style within two minutes. This piece is shorter, but, hey, the girl did leave kinda soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What!?! Sarah Palin on the 545?

Anonymous said...

I miss This-American-Life Saturday mornings :(
Meant to catch it online a few times, but never ended up doing it.

Ajay said...

Anon1: Sarah Palin. Ewww...

Anon2: Viva la podcasts. I listen to This American Life and Wait, Wait... weeks later, but I always do :)

I suspect Anon1 == Anon2 == AG.

CAR said...

Glasses eh.. You too? They make so much of a difference...

Time to play "rush of blood to the head" again

Ajay said...

Oh yeah. But not everyone can carry those off :).

Parth said...

In a different way, I got reminded of something I wrote up a while back:

http://parthp.blogspot.com/2007/10/entrapment.html

Parth said...

Wrong link. This is the right one

http://parthp.blogspot.com/2006/04/hook-line-and-stinker.html

nupur said...

Oh! That was you!

:P

Ajay said...

Wait, you wear glasses? I thought you were 20/20.

Needless to say, your hot factor just went by 10X :P

nupur said...

I don't wear glasses! 20/20 is it.
Will you reevaluate me now? :P