Thursday, March 03, 2005

Time for a change

I've read some interesting books in the last few months, including Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, two of Lawrence Lessig's books on technology and law (Free Culture and The Future of Ideas) and a graphic novel (The Road to Perdition, the one on which the movie was based).

A genre of books left undiscovered so far is the modern science fiction genre better known as cyberpunk. While a couple of books I've heard a lot about (Neuromancer, Snow Patrol) weren't easily available in the library, Cryptonomicon was. The jacket decription looked interesting enough, so down the rabbit hole we go.

Note: Technically, Neal Stephenson is postcyberpunk. And talking of rabbit holes, Alice in Wonderland is a trip unlike any I've ever had. I'd love to know what Lewis Carroll was smoking when he wrote that book.

3 comments:

Sumedha said...

I didn't like the movie 'Road to Perdition' that much. Jude Law was eerie, though...

Ajay said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, though I plan to.

My library has a nice section called "Read a movie" where they have books movies were based on - right next to the DVD shelf.I didn't get the DVD for this though. IMO, Tom Hanks was miscast. The book shows his character as much more edgier than his persona allows.

Sumedha said...

I think Tom Hanks is well past his prime; at least, he has lost flexibility as an actor.