Wednesday, February 15, 2006

What's in it for me?

One of Business 2.0's themes for successful businesses in 2004 was that they were businesses that allow other people to make money as well. The web affiliate system has made it a lucrative way for genuinely savvy people to make money without really bothering other people (unlike some of the more unsavory incidents related to 'independent ventures' that we hear of). This has been an important trend over the past couple of years.

There are infinite variants on this scheme, with more ingenious ones coming out all the time. The first major one, of course, was AdSense from Google. Other services like Overture existed before this, but this was the first one to really take off. Then there are other ones like Amazon's affiliate system where you click on a link to buy a product, and some part of the proceeds go to the seller.

An interesting new job site called Refhounds got forwarded to me recently which is to an extent looking to tap into the same 'entrepreneurial' spirit among people. If you refer a person to the site and he gets hired, they pay you. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other similar services, but this is the first one I've seen of this kind.

Ben of Ben's Bargains apparently makes a cool $20,000 a month only on the basis of his site. I'm sure there could be some kind of entrepreneurial model built around all of this.

3 comments:

Saket said...

I have Adsense turned on but for some reason none of the ads show up on my blog. I am missing some setting..Boohoo for the 10 cents I might have earned.

Sagar Joshi said...

excellent ! consistent and regulars bloggers, Unite !

Ajay said...

I had adsense on my blog, but took it off later. The pagehits on this baby are too low to justify that.

Earlier, you had to include some code in your template to make it work. I don't know if Google/Blogger integration has reached a point where this is no longer necessary.