Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Shameless plug

For the past year or so, I've been DJing (in Indian parlance, RJing?) at a radio station (KBCS, on air at 91.3 FM here, streaming online at www.kbcs.fm ) run out of Bellevue. It's a program called "The Spice Route" which plays music from South Asia - ?ollywood (? == B, T, M), Indian classical songs, music from Pakistan, Sri Lanka and other countries in South Asia.

Now the station supports streaming archives which you can search here:

http://kbcsweb.bellevuecollege.edu/playlist/searchplaylists.aspx

You can search for me by name or search for "The Spice Route". Playslists are always available. Audio is archived for 15 days after the program is over. The station can't archive more because of USA DMCA regulations.

This means that after my next show on the 24th you'll be able to listen to it till the 8th or 9th of December. I generally DJ on the 3rd Wednesday of every month, and it's been a fun experience for sure. If you're in the Seattle area and are interested in DJing, drop me a line. It's a volunteer thing. You won't get paid, but I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

FAQ:

Yes, I take requests.

No, I don't let you go on air when you call in. With the FCC being what it is, we can't risk you using a swear word on air.

Yes, listening to yourself can be weird at times.

6 comments:

J Ramanand said...

(had meant to leave a comment earlier, but was having trouble accessing blogger from work for a bit)

This is terrific! I looked at your recent playlists and you are playing some good stuff. Damn - I'm quite envious! Plus the rest of the 'channels' look quite inviting. I wish I had easy access to eclectic radio music here (worldspace is too cumbersome and immobile).

Great job.

Ajay said...

Thanks :).

If you're interested in eclectic / world music, kexp.org (Seattle) and kcrw.com (LA / Santa Monica) are other great stations in the US. KCRW's Nic Harcourt is well known as a tastemaker in the indie scene. His program "Morning Becomes Eclectic" is quite good. I also remember reading of some program to capture internet streams to MP3. Maybe you could try that...

George said...

It's such a relief to find such an interesting list after a long while. Besides relishing the "he has also heard of this album!" moments, I've also got a few additions to my CD wishlist.

As regards software to capture streaming audio: I've had a great experience with SDP (http://sdp.ppona.com/) in the past.

Ajay said...

Thanks George. Two asks:

1. Please send music recommendations my way. My email address is on the blog.
2. Spread the word :). Archived audio and live streaming means geography and timezones are not restrictions anymore.

I'm sure there are college/community radio stations in your city. If you are interested you can get involved and spread great desi music all over :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ajay

It was great to meet you last week!
Sid and I just listened to your Feb 11 episode. Fantastic!

Keep up the show, music and muse.

And come visit in Vancouver soon

Beth

PS: Sid requests that next episode you play "Sunoh" by Lucky Ali

Ajay said...

Thanks Beth! I had a great time with you folks too.

I'll see if I can find the CD for 'Sunoh'. If I do locate the song, definitely!