Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Fun At The Movies

Carrying forward the movie thingie...

This is a good topic to chase away the writer's block blues. Plus, I discovered a few interesting picks via the movie/book memes floating around. Here's hoping someone finds something of interest here:

Last Movie I rented: Edward Scissorhands from the public library. I've seen the movie in parts on TV before, but I wanted to watch it whole. Tim Burton is a visual genius, and this movie re-inforced my view of filmmaking with a good story (he disappointed with the story in Sleepy Hollow, for instance). Johnny Depp's performance helped as well, and the satirical element was funny too.

Last Film I watched in the theater: Hayao Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle". He's been called the world's greatest living animator. He is a magician and he shows what great story-telling for children (and the child in all of us) is all about.

Which Five Fictional Characters in Hollywood do you have a crush on? Not five, but three will have to do:

Kim in Edward Scissorhands: I was still a teenager when I first saw the movie. Put this down to puppy love, but you have to admit, Winona Ryder is beautiful, though I prefer her brunette over blond.

Tricia Mcmillan/Trillian in H2G2: No reason why, just that she's pretty and a bit wack.

Helen Parr/Elastigirl in The Incredibles: I know - freaky, having a crush on a cartoon character and all, but she's smart, strong and sassy. Extremely classy.

Which Five Fictional Characters in Bollywood do you have a crush on? Again, not five, actually just two. I haven't found many female characters in movies all that interesting for some reason.

Madhuri Dixit in Hum Aapke Hain Kaun : Again, strong, sweet and incredibly good-looking. I liked the movie too.

Preity Zinta in Dil Se : I remember almost falling off my seat laughing when she asks SRK "Are you a virgin?". Those dimples...

Five Hollywood Movies That Mean A Lot To Me, Or I watch a lot:

The Matrix: The movie. Defines life, the universe and a lot for me. "Don't think you are. Know you are." The movie I've seen the most number of times, and am ready to watch again right now.

Good Will Hunting: I'll forgive Ben Affleck anything because he co-wrote this. It's probably the only Oscar he'll ever see.

Fight Club: A metaphor on wasted suburban existence as it stands today. Ed Norton's one of my favorite actors, and I think Brad Pitt was pretty good here.

Aladdin : Disney's magic at its best before it started to fade. A manic Robin Williams, a wisecracking parrot, and smart-alec humor before it became a cliche in animation.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Again, probably a kid thing, but I find this movie a wild trip whenever I watch it. There are probably better films that could be here, but I don't watch them again and again. This is so much more fun!

Honorable Mentions: Rain Man, Dead Poets' Society, and Mr. Holland's Opus.

Five Bollywood Movies That Mean A Lot To Me, Or I watch a lot: What, only five?

Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron: I don't remember laughing till my insides hurt for a movie since this one. I say, we call it a cult classic now?

Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar: Ah, the wonders of the 'high school film'. Pehla Nasha. The adrenalin of the last bike race. Model .Rajput.

Sholay: 'nuff said.

Satya: For me, the Sholay of the '90s. RGV at his visceral best. Sandeep Chowta's haunting background score, and the on-location shots in B'bay.

Honorable mention: The Amol Palekar series of films ( Golmaal, Chhoti Si Baat...). Rangeela.Dil Chahta Hai. Kabhie Kabhie.

No comments: